Beware the trash can

Talking about the core development, vent steam ... censoring free but no guarantee, "they" will listen.
IAHM-COL

Beware the trash can

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:39 pm

Hi ALL

Beware the trash-can.
A new Torsten Dreyer initiative for FGADDon to send aircrafts into "the Attic". [A dark place in FGADDon out of the trunk branch]

Anyhow.
Basically, the cores are working to delete aircrafts no-one likes

But since I like all aircraft, this is not going to be rebased to FGMEMBERS, and these trashed pieces of FG artwork and Engineer will stay for everyone to enjoy in FGMEMBERS

Even, if in the best case scenery, they represent the low-end of quality,
1) the cupper of one is the gold of other
2) these planes are GPL and just are waiting for someone to give them the desserved TLC

(this is, planes throw into the trash can in FGADDon will not be removed from FGMEMBERS)

IH-COL
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

jwocky
Site Admin

Re: Beware the trash can

Postby jwocky » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:17 am

Shhhh, how mayn planes with a weak engine and two clown tanks have we refurbished over time? A lot.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

Octal450

Re: Beware the rubbish bin

Postby Octal450 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:30 am

*rubbish bin

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:50 pm

IAHM-COL wrote:Basically, the cores are working to delete aircrafts no-one likes

That's not quite true. There is a discussion going on at the moment to decide how best to handle aircraft that have been superseded by a better model - or when there is a very poor model that should not be distributed.

As an example I deleted the old f15c (after discussions) from FGAddon when I added mine. Did I do wrong?
Last edited by Richard on Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:04 pm

Richard wrote:
IAHM-COL wrote:Basically, the cores are working to delete aircrafts no-one likes

That's note quite true. There is a discussion going on at the moment to decide how best to handle aircraft that have been superseded by a better model - or when there is a very poor model that should not be distributed.

As an example I deleted the old f15c (after discussions) from FGAddon when I added mine. Did I do wrong?

Did you do wrong?! :geek: :mrgreen: :twisted: :lol:
Nothing farther from the true. You F15 model is the most advanced fighter developed from FG. YOU DO GREAT STUFF!!
Maybe a fair competition to Vitos MiG model. but yours stand the advantage of being a truly free model, while Vitos is so restrictive that one can assume it does not exist.

Now, about removing an aircraft, there are several things.
1. If you take a model and develop it further, as you did, this seems to be somehow like just improving on top of the older content.
2. Yet, since you created a completely independent new aircraft, the old f15c really did not need to be removed.
3. Yes, I see how can you argue that you guys back in FGADDon are trying to improve the overall quality of your collection and thus want to cull the low end. But I find you will always find gray areas.

It is better to keep deprecated versions around? I don't think this has a real definite answer, and ultimately depends on what you guys may want to achieve over at FGADDon

But lets' take the case of Josh/John (itouchpods/tikibar) MD-11.
That plane is completely independent of the older MD11. (not slash)

Is it really worth removing hours of works and effort and contributions in the MD11, just because a newer-cooler-kid showed up in the block?

How about people that can't run the MD-11 for computer limitations or FG version being run? (the same question is very valid in your F15, when the older that you remove would run in more computers than your enriched version)

Ultimately I have zero voice on what's done on FGAddon; I would say no to remove models on basis of quality. This would be my position if FGADDon is considered the "official" development repository. Development here meaning other person could push any deprecated model along in a different direction than the cute new kid-on-the-block

The attic is a great risk of start loosing effectively those aircrafts. Certainly it will stop listing for the great majority of users. FGMEMBERS will still keep them available. I say again: the cupper of one is the gold of other.

And welcome to the Free Flight Free Speech forum, Richard
You have a great admirer on the quality of your work in me. (and surely many others here, too)
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:08 am

I am currently kind of the other end of this question. I made, a long time ago a version of MD-80s for the USA Tour based on Andino's work. Basically just some quick repairs.
In the meantime, IT0uchpods has made a much better version. So I am thinking of abandoning my own and put the little bits that are still useful into IT0uchpod's. That doesn't mean to delete it, just make a last commit with an explanation what and why and a link to the better version. So if anybody for what reasons ever wants to fly the older and much more primitive version, be it computer issues or just personal taste, can do so.

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:17 am

Another reason why to be very careful with deleting of course is the different approach of FGADDON and FGMEMBERS. FGADDON is mainly thought to deliver planes to end users. FGM§EMBERS is mainly a development platform for team development which became a kind of warehouse as a side effect (because the plane tinkerers liked to fly too). So while deleting maybe is a politically valid option for FGADDON, it is not for FGMEMBERS.
Since, despite claims from some of the FGADDON operators, FGADDON is already compromised by license scams and political harassment (I have no planes in there despite the fact, that I made already about twenty when allegedly all planes from the old FGDATA were transferred), we have also to assume, that gate keeping is well and alive over there which makes FGADDON definitively also the wrong tool to keep our (the FG community*s) history in the first place and the earlier expressed intention rather to distribute inferior planes than politically incorrect (read the dev list about that) makes it clear, the selection process will be in many instances a politically tainted one. Thus, while ypou have a valid point with the F-15, in this specific case, the idea in general is rather dangerous, more or less another step to silence the unbeloved.

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:25 am

Yup. The older MD11 I want to take a look at!

bomber

Postby bomber » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:10 am

IAHM-COL wrote:
Richard wrote:

That's note quite true. There is a discussion going on at the moment to decide how best to handle aircraft that have been superseded by a better model - or when there is a very poor model that should not be distributed.

Point me to the topic on the forum where this has taken place, as I must have missed it.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:59 am

+1

Return to “Core Development”