KSFO

Talking about the core development, vent steam ... censoring free but no guarantee, "they" will listen.
IAHM-COL

Re: KSFO

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:42 pm

D-ECHO wrote:My problem with terraGIT, btw, is that I will always have to download HUGE 10x10 degree tiles which takes years for me, even when I only fly in one of the 100 tiles...

Now, I understand!!
If it weren't for D-ECHO I'll never think about this.

I guess, then, we will have to cancel terraGIT and just live with whatever content is offered via terrasync. Otherwise, D-ECHO will always have to download HUGE 10x10 degree tiles.
That seems to be a point I kind of cannot live with.

I am very sorry for the inconvenience I caused you D-ECHO.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

D-ECHO

Postby D-ECHO » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:44 pm

So, what exactly was the purpose of this post?
To tell me I shouldn't complain about the disadvantages of terraGIT? To not even NAME them?. Okay, SORRY that I tried constructive critism and point out the disadvantages, I'LL NEVER DO AGAIN!
But, well, to continue like you, SHAME ON YOU! :P

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:03 pm

Hi D-ECHO

That is not what I've said...

We can discuss all we want about the advantages and disadvantages of both terraGIT and terrasync all we want, as long as we want.
I was not unaware that to use terraGIT right now one has to download at least 1 full tile of 10x10 degrees. It can be non-optimal to some users like you. Other users (like I), we download the whole planet, and after a long first download, we can get updates in matters of just minutes, globally

Code: Select all

git pull
install/World

That problem, from that angle is O.K. by me. Besides it is not a problem that remains without potential solution. It has been talked elsewhere, that we could mirror all terraGIT content in an https apache server somewhere, and give the url to users to completely replace the terrasync server address. Then terraGIT content will fully use terrasync curl fetching infrastructure, and download on the fly.

Until there we are talking technical. And that is not a problem.

You have given this issue a new spin... one I never gave myself.

That due to terraGIT, at least one user, D-ECHO is being forced to do something he does not want. And still forcing you to some inconvenience.
I am fully advocate to freedom in software: freedom for users. If one of terraGIT's disadvantages is that it forces users, then I have an issue with my own product.

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

Catalanoic

Postby Catalanoic » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:19 pm

Forcing people to use this or that not solves anything (yes! because blaming the actual system and people behind does it), we all know there're positives and negatives points in both systems. I like IAHM-COL comments and work because i can look at an interesting point of view, despite not all i'm always agree. Anyways, keep calm and fly over the clouds!

D-ECHO

Postby D-ECHO » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:21 pm

Why? When flying inside the clouds is more interesting :D

Catalanoic

Postby Catalanoic » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Near mountains by sure!

D-ECHO

Postby D-ECHO » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:25 pm

That's why we need synthetic vision in flightgear ;)

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:49 pm

D-ECHO wrote:That's why we need synthetic vision in flightgear ;)

OHH!
I see now.

Today, after reading several D-ECHO posts, including this last one, I am getting closer and closer to the conclusion that it is just D-ECHO flipped the "snarky comment" switch on.

Nevermind, then...
I switch the "dont take D-ECHO too seriously" switch on , for the moment.

R.M.S.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:56 pm

Hi @ALL

I rebased KSFO area, the new terrain, in terrasync -- to terraGIT

Code: Select all

git pull
install/tile w130n30

I am glad to see that the terrasync maintainers had finally agreed to save KHAF from the flood after years of stagnation, without an excuse.
(I'm gonna say, we are seeing here, just another real advantage of having terraGIT)

An indirect ability to wake up the sleeping developers of the other-side.

Best,
IH-COL

R.M.S.

SHM

Postby SHM » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:07 pm

What happened to their policy of we don't patch scenery unless its an island! :roll:
FG Pilot (2011-2018)
Prepar3d (2015 - 2023)
MSFS2020 (2020 - )

Return to “Core Development”