World Scenery with Submodules

Talking about the core development, vent steam ... censoring free but no guarantee, "they" will listen.
LesterBoffo

Re: World Scenery with Submodules

Postby LesterBoffo » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:17 pm

You know I've been installing terrain lately using Terrasynch, it's been working fine from FG while online, and I'm not opposed to downloading and installing zips to add custom scenery. I've been doing this for a while, it's comfortable and it works! So again, you want me to take a chance of trying to wrap my head around something I'm really uncomfortable with, that has been highly buggy in my past experience and didn't work out after spending a 3 days trying to get my head around.

Israel, We've been down this rabbit hole before!

Unless you can think of a better solution or operation using the GITGUI I've installed, this is pointless. :x

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:19 pm

makes sense to me
I say look at my post of how you unzip the scenery. It is not impossible. and for specific areas of interest (like JAPAN right now) it will be your way to go.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=377&start=80#p7268
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:32 pm

Case in point, You make the GIT option sound so easy.

But it seems I have to go read a book about all the GIT commandline operations just to get it to function?

Where does the 'easy' part of this come into play?

I'd like to get to work with GIT, but every time I open it, I'm confronted with terms and operations that end up taking me further down a confusing array of operations that eventually takes one far, far away from experiencing what should be 'easy'. I've downloaded the GIT for Windows you recommended... Did I make a mistake in the setup instructions? They're not exactly written in a language that makes it clear in what I was going to end up with when I clicked 'finish'

Yeah I'm frustrated, everyone says GIT is easy, it's like a mantra.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:35 pm

:P

I know. Git is not easy. Or intuitive at first. But it pays big time.

I think what you need is that you and I meet in mumble to set you up (fetching) the data.
In the meanwhile, try the zip (manual) strategy, cause that's cumbersome, but definitely easy

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

SHM

Postby SHM » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:41 pm

Since you're on Windows I can help you via teamviewer

SHM
FG Pilot (2011-2018)
Prepar3d (2015 - 2023)
MSFS2020 (2020 - )

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:47 pm

Great! now I need team viewer X( guess I'll need to buy a camera next lets make this even more 'easy'.

SHM

Postby SHM » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:49 pm

LesterBoffo wrote:Great! now I need team viewer X( guess I'll need to buy a camera next lets make this even more 'easy'.

No just the free version. And no need of a camera.

Looks like XP is completely supported. You don't have to get a lower version.
FG Pilot (2011-2018)
Prepar3d (2015 - 2023)
MSFS2020 (2020 - )

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:47 pm

LesterBoffo wrote:
Honestly? There's no option to download the scenery needed as zip files?

OK
Correctly speaking you can download airports of interests using the upstream repositories for TerraGIT developement at
https://github.com/FGMEMBERS-SCENERY?utf8=%E2%9C%93&query=RJ

These work just as any zip Scenery package!! :D

It is not as complete as terraGIT by all means (many new layout missing) but you'll get most of the features by installing all these.

R.M.S.

D-ECHO

Postby D-ECHO » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:41 am

Is it possible(does anybody have the skills) to implement this in fgfs so it calls the script and parses the current tile to it so it can be usable more or less like terrasync?

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:45 am

I'm not fully sure. but it would require real core modifications (fgfs)

I thought about it. I keep on the back of my mind that 1) github offers SVN interface, which is the "language" of terrasync

https://help.github.com/articles/support-for-subversion-clients/

and 2) work is being done to transfer terrasync to Http via curl, which can offer interesting possibilities... So I keep looking at James' work with interests.

But right now, No. I don't know how to implement a terrasync-like fetching of terraGIT

I like the fact of fully distributing the scenery thou. As in people having real copies of the world locally, not just temporary files. Also, the fact that you wont be seeing "Downloading Scenery" times anymore, and your scenery wont fail again due to terrasync un-diagnosed errors.

Something I really kept disliking ws2.0 is that you could never get the whole world in your hard-drive if you wanted it. With terrasync that mean flying over all the place. And terramaster was an option, but it couldn't maintain updates with ease. Now I feel terraGIT solves that problem

Finally, terrasync has never been a world scenery development infrastructure. I feel terraGIT fills that void, as well.

R.M.S.

Return to “Core Development”