3.6 Release. The thruth resurfaces

Talking about the core development, vent steam ... censoring free but no guarantee, "they" will listen.
IAHM-COL

3.6 Release. The thruth resurfaces

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:30 pm

Torsten Dreyer wrote:Hi Markus,

there is currently no defined status of 3.6 due to lack of (human) resources.

I am happy to realize that Torsten had come clean upon what are the real reasons that Release 3.6 is delayed. They have nothing to do with me, as others have been misled to believe. The reasons have to do with the lack of workmanship.

IH-COL
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

legoboyvdlp

Re: 3.6 Release. The thruth resurfaces

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:35 pm

Yay! They accept the truth.
But... does this mean the end of FlightGear; i.e. no more releases?
Or do they all come off their holidays soon?
~~Legoboyvdlp~~
Maiquetia / Venezuela Custom Scenery
Hallo! Ich bin Jonathan.
Hey!
Avatar created by InSapphoWeTrust CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.p ... d=27409879

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:21 pm

Reading the whole memo on the devel list, if seems they want to jump to 3.8 now. :P

If I were them, I'll fix whatever is really needed, delay if necessary, and jump to a 4.x series.
We'll see what they'll do.

It is a relief not being blame for that anymore.

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

legoboyvdlp

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:24 pm

I suggest not mentioning the FGMEMBERS thing. It could seem like an excuse
and I've no doubt there are many more valid and important reasons for
skipping a release. The whole unfortunate affair doesn't need to be given
any more weight or attention. It would be far better to focus on the
positive,like all the terrific new work that will be part of the next
release, requiring just a little patience on the part of the community.
- Gary Buckaroo

Yep, keep it positive! We are working on making the release process more
automatic. - Curtis Olson

Nice to hear that, Curt.
How about keeping the forums positive, and giving Thorsten and Bomber a little break from eachother?
~~Legoboyvdlp~~
Maiquetia / Venezuela Custom Scenery
Hallo! Ich bin Jonathan.
Hey!
Avatar created by InSapphoWeTrust CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.p ... d=27409879

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:42 am

Ok. I do like Curtis' manners to come out clean on stop finding a "guilt" or a "scape-goat" of mine/ours/their/someone's failure to put the baked Flightgear 3.6 release on the table-top:

Quoting

Curtis Olson wrote:What often goes unnoticed is the complexity of the release process for a multi-platform project of the size of FlightGear. It is such that adding more hands to a complex operation, doesn't always make it go more smoothly or more quickly. Throwing money at complexity problems often just piles stress and obligation on top of the complexity. Before Torsten took over as release manager, I was spending at least 40-80 hours (i.e. 2 full weeks) away from my day job to get a release done and out. With Jenkins automation and Torsten and Gijs' help, that has dropped substantially. But we are still struggling with complexity, or we get bit by last minute development/bug-fix dependencies. We are pushing towards more automation and looking at ways to simplify the process, but complexity is hard.

I've said this many times, but perhaps it bears repeating. FlightGear developers are volunteers. Some of us get dozens or 100's of emails a week related to FlightGear. I know some things sent to me fall through the cracks ... often because I simply don't know the answer, or don't have time or knowledge to address the problem or feature request. The expectations of the user base sometimes seem to be more aligned with commercial software projects with full time dedicated support, development, and management staff

People have suggested that we need to solicit funds or commercial support to pay for a dedicated staff, but if anyone has actually tried to go through the entrepreneurial process on a full scale, they understand the magnitude of what is being suggested, and it's not easy to simply throw money at a complex situation and see an improvement.

I'm still waiting for a benevolent commercial interest to bring a 1 or 2 million dollars to the table to transform FlightGear into a first rate commercial entity. But do we even want that, and who of our existing developers would jump over and do FlightGear for all out stress and full time obligation and all the other things that go along with full employment? I'm sure we could get 100's of applications of people who would think this is their dream job, but the cold harsh reality is that some manager level person is weeding through those resumes only looking for super star stand outs with lots of experience in the needed areas. Most of the people reading this thinking they'd love the job, probably wouldn't get called in for an interview ... the commercial world is a harsh place. Could we find these high quality/experienced people who are willing to work for $$$ and pay them enough to get them to jump over to a speculative venture? Would FlightGear ever be able to generate enough revenue to make a 1-2 million per year investment pay off for someone? Do any of us want (or are even qualified) to take on that kind of obligation and stress? FlightGear is highly successful when we can share it for free, but who can say how it would compete in a commercial world? The expectations of the xbox/iphone crowd are much different than the hard core, life long aviation enthusiast.

Anyway, the greatest challenge to regular releases is complexity.

Best regards,

Curt.

So... Curtis had a very busy RL just on the right time. And other of the very small dev cores unfortunately coincided. Certainly that makes a whole much more sense that saying 'I did it', when IAHM-COL has no busy bussiness on the releasing proccess (at all) [Just your average, entry level user, here]

R.M.S.

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:33 pm

Considering your past treatment in the old forum by the Forum Honchos that guilt should not be a worry. These people made up sack cloth based stories about you and JWocky's work and intentions. It really a bit sad but also karma is also a b!^#*.

Return to “Core Development”