The "Lester does very little to Herby's Ilyushin76 for the USA tour,' Thread

Everything in connection with developing aircraft for FlightGear
LesterBoffo

The "Lester does very little to Herby's Ilyushin76 for the USA tour,' Thread

Postby LesterBoffo » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:04 am

I don't normally find that all FlightGear aircraft all appeal to my tastes, and with some I end up doing big make-overs and FDM adjustments.

Until I downloaded Herby's latest, the Ilyushin Il76MD. Pretty nice right out of the Zip file and right off the bat. and it's FDM is OK, ( more on this further down..) plus you get either an autostart, or you can go into a not excessively complex manual cold and dark start. It also comes with a circus-load of submodels and cargo. Or you can drop a bunch of parachutists. Fun, big, Russian jet cargo plane with a illustrious history.

I like it.

Now for the FDM, It was in need of some Cruise AoA, approach speed, fuselage dynamics and a little mainwing and Hstab adjustments. I also added some turbine engine parameters to improve the cruise altitude speed and fuel consumption. Nothing big, maybe 28 lines of .XML additions.

https://github.com/HerbyW/IL-76MD

I like the shapes and lines on this, and it's got a cheeky visage for such a big plane.

IAHM-COL

Re: The "Lester does very little to Herby's Ilyushin76 for the USA tour,' Thread

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:21 am

Certainly a great choice for the long-ride to Saipan! :D
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

KB7

Re: The "Lester does very little to Herby's Ilyushin76 for the USA tour,' Thread

Postby KB7 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:52 pm

That one is indeed nice. Have you range/refuel tested it? Neither the FG model nor the published flight characteristics seem adeqaute without refuels. It's a "long range" transport but even the IL-76T will need at least one complete refuel to make the trip.
Primarily props / twins and small business/personal jets. IRL home airport KBMI, FG homes KLAS / KXTA.
Favorites: Cessna 421 "Golden Eagle," Twin Otter, BAe-125. A plane isn't my plane until I've modded the cockpit to the way I like it.

Return to “Aircraft Development”