727 development

Everything in connection with developing aircraft for FlightGear
Octal450

Re: 727 development

Postby Octal450 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:27 pm

JWocky,
I almost got HSI indicator working. One problem. There is a file I copied from 707 over called Instrumentaiton.xml, the XML for the HSI points to a b707/hsi/heading-indicator-deg to find the aircraft heading. I cannot find "b707" in the 707 anywhere! Does anyone know if the 727 detirmes the heading? If so, how? I will post my work here in a moment.

By the way, in it0uchpods, the first o is a 0 (ZERO) not a capital O.

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:43 pm

Also, does anyone know why the plane is so bad at climbing? It can barely climb!

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:03 pm

Last time I checked it climbed just fine :D
Are you sure you are not stalling her? Get some flaps out, and gain some speed first.

About the cockpit. Maybe a bug? feel free to submit the correction.
IH-COL
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:41 pm

1.) You need to use instead of the namespace b707 the namespace b727

2.) She climbed just fine for a plane with those old and relatively weak engines. Of course, then someone else took over the FDM work, telling me, I did everything wrong, reduced the wing area without adapting all subsequent formulas, that was the first 8% lift (respectively 12% under full flaps). I don't know what else changed in the meantime, I was busy with other planes.

3.) Having said that, the 727 is historically a lot nearer tot he weight/thrust ratio of a 707 than to that of most modern jets. So if you are fully loaded, you have to take-off old-school. Means get her in the air with almost full flaps, let her take up a bit speed then pull flaps in one step, let her take up more speed, next flap step in. Kind of a schedule thing.

J.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:22 am

Alright, I will give it a try. I am not stalling her, but I did find that it was very difficult to climb even on low weight. Might be a bug. Whoever changed what they changed made it worse, since it was quite good before. I will keep trying to sort the cockpit.

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:25 am

That is probably the lift loss by reducing the wing area. Since lift from wings is also calculated by a constant factor to the wing area, someone would have to adapt that factor instead of writing in github, my math is weird. But as usual if c=a*b and one reduces a, c will become lower unless I increase c accordingly. Dooh!
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:41 am

Sounds right to me, however not sure how to fix it. Also nose steering is REALLY weak, also not sure how to fix that. No luck with HSI, probably need to do more fiddling. I'll have a go at that. Meanwhile, I improved 3D map a little bit. Anyone mind doing GIT for me? I just don't quite get it. I can provide the .zip for you guys to test when I get a few more things done.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:22 am

link your zip here, then.

git is the best tool I know of for Source Code Managament, and github the best host I know for "social coding", but it does take a bit of learning curve to bump-up

You'll have time to get over that bump... [if you are willing to learn the tricks]

feel free to ask any particular question in viewforum.php?f=28
(even about git technical usage), and we will try to guide you thru.
So far I'm uncertain where you are stuck, so be very verbose on what is troubling you.

Really, it is harder to get FGFS rolling, than to push a commit to the server. So you 've got the skills that are needed.

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:31 am

Git: Step by step

1. Do you have your github account already?
2. Did you fork this repository already ?
https://github.com/IAHM-COL/727-230
3. Do you have a git software installed in your system? which one, it depends on your OS.

R.M.S.

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:15 am

Right. Already did that. I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. I will have a go at GIT. Also, anyone know where to get FG 3.6 GIT? I cannot find.

About the HSI:
I got the instrument installed, heading bug and 3D map work correctly, but cannot get it to rotate to the current heading. There is a property that is supposed to do it and links to b727/hsi-heading-indicator-deg. But I cannot find where that is. May have to do some more tweaking to make it work. Give me another day, and I will upload it here, or put it on GIT on my fork. (https://github.com/it0uchpods/727-230) I may TRY to start placing overhead and CP instruments, but IDK how that will go. I will put more detailed info tomorrow, as I am busy now with other things. Also, when you guys update the plane, can you post about it?

Return to “Aircraft Development”