Bulldog RS driving machines

Everything in connection with developing aircraft for FlightGear
LesterBoffo

Re: Bulldog RS driving machines

Postby LesterBoffo » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:16 pm

Alternately the Alral vehicle 'flight model' is like this:

(Cars initialize with the handbrake on.)

Check your fuel levels and add some passenger weight if you want.

Make sure you're in neutral, Press and hold down the Backspace key ( which works the clutch..) and tap the Home and End keys a couple times, you should get a grey text box telling you what gear you're in. Select "0" in the grey text box for neutral to start engine.

Tap the "s" key to start engine, you should hear the engine idle. The throttle is hooked to the down elevator command on the mouse or 'push forward' on your joystick. Steering is with the ailerons. Release the handbrake, ("Shift+b") and disengage the clutch, ( "backspace", hold down while disengaging..) then select first gear by tapping the "Home" key. The "b" key works the brakes, or if you have a joystick, your trigger or 1# button. The brakes are modulated so they don't toggle full on immediately, this can help if you want to trail some light braking into a fast turn. tap the "b" key or your trigger less frequently and repeatedly so the brakes are softer. Just like on an aircraft's LG wheels.

The "H" key works the horn, "A" and "S" are right and left turn signals if enabled, "K" turn on the headlights, "n/N" turn on the wipers and increase their speed and slow down and turn off. Some cars have an invisible winch so you can haul yourself out of bad terrain. Works the same as the glider winch.
Last edited by LesterBoffo on Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:32 pm

Could you map the engine to throttle? I'd like to do with my joystick.

Josh

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:52 pm

Not skilled enough to be messing with Alral's finely tuned vehicle Nasal, so no, I'd rather not.

Besides it works better on the elevator stick/mouse, as it leaves your other hand free to work the shifting and other controls. Most of these Alral equipped vehicles also have an 'automatic transmission' version, but they lack a working reverse gear. If you can figure out a better Nasal you're welcome to tinker, frankly it works well enough for me.

bulldogrs

Postby bulldogrs » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:40 pm

@it0uchpods Can you now drive my Camaro? There is no gear change (all you need to get it moving is pressing fullstop or Page UP). To reverse, press M (to disable reverse, press m)
Bulldog RS (Next gen flying vehicles): https://bulldogrs.wordpress.com/

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:58 pm

I'll download and try when I'm home.

I'm pretty good with nasal.

Josh

J Maverick 16

Postby J Maverick 16 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:14 pm

The Camaro already works with joystick, tried it yesterday.
Regards, Mav
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (current project: F-16).
Using Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack.
Follow me also on Instagram & Twitter @j_maverick16, Google+ and YouTube.

bulldogrs

Postby bulldogrs » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:39 pm

Thanks Mav for testing it out with a joystick :)

Coming up soon...

J Maverick 16

Postby J Maverick 16 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:06 pm

Is it possible to have a "livery" option for the Camaro so there can me multiple colors?
Also, has it got a generic FDM or is it somehow tweaked specifically for that model? (just wondering how you make models, it's interesting).
Regards, Mav

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (current project: F-16).

bulldogrs

Postby bulldogrs » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:13 pm

Hey Mav,

The current color is baked texture using Blender (unlike all my previous models which used a colour image file) so having multiple colours mean I need to bake texture multiple times and that will slow down my other projects.

I use one generic FDM for all my ground vehicles (will be updating some of my older cars so they use this FDM as well). One of the reasons I can release a project so quick is because I use one package fits all. All the animations, FDM, nasal scripts are the same so all I need to do is changing co-ordinates of parts (like door).

J Maverick 16

Postby J Maverick 16 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:41 am

bulldogrs wrote:The current color is baked texture using Blender (unlike all my previous models which used a colour image file) so having multiple colours mean I need to bake texture multiple times and that will slow down my other projects.

All I'd like to have is the possibility to change "liveries" on it, then I'll care about colors ;) (I'd love to make one for myself).

About the FDM I'll see if it's possible to improve it a bit so the car works better during accelerarions and similar.
Regards, Mav

Return to “Aircraft Development”