YASim or JSBSim for a new aircraft

Everything in connection with developing aircraft for FlightGear
IAHM-COL

Re: YASim or JSBSim for a new aircraft

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue May 31, 2016 10:05 pm

@ bomber: do you take requests? For some GPL fun?
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

bomber

Postby bomber » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:40 pm

I wish to be clear that I'm not out to make trouble just for the fun of it... if trouble comes I'm not one to shy away.

So if a time comes that there's a GPL challenge, it's got to be for the right reasons and when I have the strongest case...

Simon.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

swamp

Postby swamp » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:29 pm

Jwocky once said that the seat of the Mirage was attached to my ass or something to that effect. So what I'm about to say may come as a surprise. I prefer JSBsim most of the time and I don't think in many cases it has to be as difficult as some say. You don't always need all of this wind tunnel data. I fly Yasim planes all of the time that are jerky, quirky the noses bounce up and down or if you try to pitch down at all your toast. I've worked with Yasim and the idea of having to make a mono plane a biplane or triplane........ It can be done but it makes my head hurt thinking about it. Both can be done well but many times its according o what you are building. If its going to be on autopilot 99% you may not notice many of these characteristics that I do but then again I normally fly things that go very fast weaving through the mountain ranges. Now I've met some Yasim planes that can do that well but its like your riding on rails, they are not realistic at all. I've only found one so far that flies fairly realistic and its usually glued to my ass, or something like that. ;)

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:52 am

Simple

If you have good wind data, JSB.
IF not, Yasim.

bomber

Postby bomber » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:52 am

it0uchpods wrote:Simple

If you have good wind data, JSB.
IF not, Yasim.

Old thinking... a myth spread by yasim users to promote it's use.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:54 pm

I don't make FDMs. But the only good JSB FDMs I ever see come from wind tunnel data.

Show me one JSB aircraft where the data is not from wind, I will thoroughly test it. Lets see.

bomber

Postby bomber » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:26 pm

Well that'll be easy ina short while once I've completed the Beagle Pup (the newest fdm)....

However..... YOU say you've seen good jsbsim FDM's.... and that they come from wind tunnel data...

Name those planes...

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:29 pm

Lancaster, Condor, the Electra 10 has intentionally a little bit too much lift for the fun, the C-47, the Lineage1000, the ERJs, the IAR-80, the 707, the 727 (at least when I had her last in the work, not sure what happened since), the A310, ...many of the older Dave Culp planes. There are a lot of them out there.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

bomber

Postby bomber » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:56 pm

Wind tunnel data for the lancaster ?

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:49 pm

No, JSB flying Lancaster without any wind tunnel data, only from the specs, as an example, you can even without this almost mystical wind tunnel data build a decent JSB plane. This whole thing, you need everything including urine probes of the chief designer's grandma is just RRRRRUUUUUUUUBBBBBBBIIIIIIISH!
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

Return to “Aircraft Development”