Lester: Albatros D.III

Everything in connection with developing aircraft for FlightGear
jwocky
Site Admin

Lester: Albatros D.III

Postby jwocky » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:31 am

After a long frustrating attempt to find a bug in the Ju-87, I packed out the Albatros. Now, the Albatros should have a range of 261 nm according to Wiki, but she had only about 140. So ...

1.) Yasim smuggles you the regular behavior with mixture and propeller-pitch in, even a WWI airplane hadn't neither one nor the other. So, Yasim was flying her all the time on 100% mixture plus take off power plus the usual Yasim mistake in calculating the fuel consumption too high. For now, I see there only the option to fly her "Yasim", means with mixture and pitch.

2.) You calculated obviously liters in pounds 1:1, but it is, calculated for regular AV gas 1:1.58, Means, the tank is too small. Even if I canculate only the 120 liters from an original gas gauge, it's almost 190lbs.

put both together and there are the 261nm plus VAT.

regards
JWocky
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

LesterBoffo

Re: Lester: Albatros D.III

Postby LesterBoffo » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:26 am

Sorry JWacky. I know it needs fixing. The Mercedes had a altitude compensating mixture and throttle that limited the engine power to about 85~90% below 5000' atmospheric altitude. You still need to compensate for altitude with YAsim. You could try flying it like they had that limiter in working order, there was a 'gate' lever for the limiter that allowed you to bypass it at the expense of damaging the engine below 5000' . At the time I made it I had no fuel measurement I could find online that agreed with the fuel capacity used for Over Flander's Fields D.III, so I used it as a best guess.

BTW Military Warehouse is claiming a range of about 217nm.

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:50 am

Hey, the tank size was a mystery till I found a picture of an original DIII fuel gauge on Ebay ... one never knows. And I did the mixture and prop pitch thing a little unrealistically with shift-m and shift-n and I had a great Tour leg with the kite. Couldn't resit of course to land her on grass ;-)
So, bottom line, she is not perfect, but we all love her!
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:01 am

Interesting that the prop pitch works, it's supposed to be fixed pitch, you can lean the mixture after reducing to cruise power and you'll get even better economy.

Did I upload to you the new D.III with the four new liveries?

...and here's a new plane..Image

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:20 am

hi lester
no the new version is not uploaded.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

Return to “Aircraft Development”