KC-137R family project

Everything in connection with developing aircraft for FlightGear
J Maverick 16

Re: KC-137R ATAARS project, need some help.

Postby J Maverick 16 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:25 pm

I've always had that issue, wherever I spawned.
The aircraft was like this just after launching FG.
I'm on Mumble right now if you want to talk about it.
At the end of this test-flight I'll post a list of things that need prior fix among the others.
Regards, Mav
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (current project: F-16).
Using Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack.
Follow me also on Instagram & Twitter @j_maverick16, Google+ and YouTube.

J Maverick 16

Postby J Maverick 16 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:00 pm

Ok here's what I found out:
- Autopilot works badly: Alt hold doesn't really old at the altitude you prompt in it. Heading nav (GPS/FMS) disengages randomly and often causing while turning a risk to loose control.
- Engines thrust is identical to the old version. If you take a look and my xml file of the engines, there's more thrust so the cruise speed is way higher than it's current (the main aim of this project was to create a high-speed tanker in order to allow it to arrive in a shorter time to the requested area, plus it should be able to take off from short runways even if with lots of fuel).
Also, the the KC was meant to land with at low speeds with full flaps. (This version is able to, but it lacks that immediate thrust the old KC gave while performing touch n goes).
Contrails start at a not-high-enough altitude (about 22,000 ft) and generate too close to the engine.
- New artificial horizon should be more sensible and bigger compared to the big screen which shows it.
- Gear animation is too slow, should retract and deploy in less time.
(- Current textures should be replaced with the new ones)

Regards, Mav

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (current project: F-16).

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:04 pm

J Maverick 16 wrote:Ok here's what I found out:
1 Autopilot works badly: Alt hold doesn't really old at the altitude you prompt in it. Heading nav (GPS/FMS) disengages randomly and often causing while turning a risk to loose control.
2 Engines thrust is identical to the old version. If you take a look and my xml file of the engines, there's more thrust so the cruise speed is way higher than it's current (the main aim of this project was to create a high-speed tanker in order to allow it to arrive in a shorter time to the requested area, plus it should be able to take off from short runways even if with lots of fuel).
3 Also, the the KC was meant to land with at low speeds with full flaps. (This version is able to, but it lacks that immediate thrust the old KC gave while performing touch n goes).
4 Contrails start at a not-high-enough altitude (about 22,000 ft) and generate too close to the engine.
5 New artificial horizon should be more sensible and bigger compared to the big screen which shows it.
6 Gear animation is too slow, should retract and deploy in less time.
(- Current textures should be replaced with the new ones)

Regards, Mav

Roger, I'm aware of issues 1, 2, 3, and 6.

Not sure what you mean in 5, if you could explain, it would help.

Issues 1, 2, and 3, are being fixed currently.

A little thing about problem 1.

Generally you should use the vertical speed, as the alt hold has some issues, being fixed.
The aircraft should have a true heading instead of GPS/FMS similar to the real one. The autopilot was not changed.

J Maverick 16

Postby J Maverick 16 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:07 pm

it0uchpods wrote:Roger, I'm aware of issues 1, 2, 3, and 6.
Not sure what you mean in 5, if you could explain, it would help.
Issues 1, 2, and 3, are being fixed currently.
A little thing about problem 1.
Generally you should use the vertical speed, as the alt hold has some issues, being fixed.
The aircraft should have a true heading instead of GPS/FMS similar to the real one. The autopilot was not changed.

About problem 1, in FGUK we use ALT HOLD and GPS/FMS a lot during FlightNights due to events planned by following waypoints and formations flights and it's also easier to use while doing longer flights.

I'll see if I can resolve the new seats texture problem now.
Regards, Mav

J Maverick 16

Postby J Maverick 16 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:19 pm

So, as you said you have much more time now, could you replace the current textures with the one I've edited (starting from the cockpit instruments)?
Cheers, Mav

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:16 pm

Hey, is that plane usable for the Japan event?
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:35 pm

jwocky wrote:Hey, is that plane usable for the Japan event?

it will be :) it0uchpods Hanger is hard at work on the new engines right now.

J Maverick 16 wrote:So, as you said you have much more time now, could you replace the current textures with the one I've edited (starting from the cockpit instruments)?
Cheers, Mav

Sure, I will do that tonight.

J Maverick 16

Postby J Maverick 16 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:46 am

jwocky wrote:Hey, is that plane usable for the Japan event?

It will fly from USA to Japan some days before the Festival to help KSUU Crew arrive there.
Greetings, Mav

KIWI34

Postby KIWI34 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:18 am

We should all do an arrivals into Japan from our countries, like the arrivals that occur for RIAT etc. within minutes of each other. I know in FG some will fly from the U.S, a few from south america and NZ for me, maybe we could organise a time where we are all en route to japan :)

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:24 am

KIWI34 wrote:We should all do an arrivals into Japan from our countries, like the arrivals that occur for RIAT etc. within minutes of each other. I know in FG some will fly from the U.S, a few from south america and NZ for me, maybe we could organise a time where we are all en route to japan :)

Great Idea! I will be coming over in the lovely MD-11. I will be landing at RJTT, since that is where I am controlling :) 14:38mins flight! I will mention this in the FGFest forum

Return to “Aircraft Development”