DFW-CV

Everything in connection with developing aircraft for FlightGear
LesterBoffo

Re: DFW-CV

Postby LesterBoffo » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:05 pm

KL-666 wrote:I would love to fly such vintage planes more. But i have big trouble seeing where i taxi with those noses up. One could say: take an exterior view when taxiing. But that would spoil exactly the charm of why i like simulators: you can operate them fully from the inside.

A good solution for my situation would be to have pop-your-head-out left and right views. I am thinking of two keys assigned to left and right.

Kind regards, Vincent

Maybe it's different for people with Linux but on my PC you can push the scroll wheel and RMB, then drag your position up or sideways, I use this to set the barometer pressure on some of the fussy WWI altimeters, where it's good to get a square on view of the needles as you rotate the backface to adjust.

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:25 am

Hi Lester,

I know i can somehow drag positions with the mouse, but with me it always gets messy, like being 10 meters out of the plane suddenly. Also i never manage to get my position accurately centralized again.

Kind regards, Vincent

bomber

Postby bomber » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:35 pm

It should be no hardship to add a head pop up keypress for taxiiing
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:51 pm

You know, I often time just pop into the external view ( helicopter?) to taxi with. Historically these flights were started by lining up the aircraft into the wind at whatever convenient place on the airfield or aerodrome, by arm and leg power. Then they were started and warmed up right at the takeoff point, often times in a big, wings abreast line up, with about 20 to 40 seconds between each roll-out and take-off.

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:19 pm

I see that taxiing must be impossible with these planes, because they all have a stick for tailwheel, making them incapable of turning while taxiing. So they must indeed have been dragged around the field. How do i drag the plane into takoff position after landing in fg?

Kind regards, Vincent

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:26 pm

KL-666 wrote:I see that taxiing must be impossible with these planes, because they all have a stick for tailwheel, making them incapable of turning while taxiing. So they must indeed have been dragged around the field. How do i drag the plane into takoff position after landing in fg?

Kind regards, Vincent

Actually in the real planes, they have the advantage of a strong prop blast and if you push the stick forward while gunning the engine, also while feeding in generous rudder, the prop's airstream will assist in turning the planes. Most of my aircraft has a weakly effective, steerable tail bogey to simulate this, since both YASim and JSBSim have little or no flight modeled tail surface aero effects while at taxi speeds.

The only sim that I'm aware of that does have this is EasyFly/Aerofly R/C model simulator.

Catalanoic

Postby Catalanoic » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:36 am

Its fun to see these planes in so reduced size for simulation

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:43 am

Interesting to learn how they steered back then. But in flightgear we remain helpless, and have to restart at the beginning of the runway again i suppose.

Kind regards, Vincent

D-ECHO

Postby D-ECHO » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:44 am

I once added a pushback-like feature to gliders to tow them around, maybe this can be done for these planes too?

bomber

Postby bomber » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:42 am

Why not simply add the functionality to the JSBsim model ?
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

Return to “Aircraft Development”