A310, need help from a Blender talented person

Everything in connection with developing aircraft for FlightGear
jwocky
Site Admin

A310, need help from a Blender talented person

Postby jwocky » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:12 am

Hi,

as some have noticed, I tinkered on the A310-324. Now I would need someone who can open the model in Blender (I am so graphically untalented) and get me the positions of ...

- node wheel
- main gear
- tanks in the wings
- tank in the tail (trim tank)

as of yet, I just let it as the original developers did it and "positioned" everything just in the middle but then the trim tank for example trims nothing at all. And the taxiing is weird with wheel positions calculated in another place than the visible wheels are.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

IAHM-COL

Re: A310, need help from a Blender talented person

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:31 am

• Nose Wheel

Code: Select all

x=-13.6624 y=0.0093 Z=-4.4210

• Main gear Left

x=0.7683 y=-4.2501 z=-4.2905

• Main gear Right

x=0.7644 y=4.2685 z=-4.2866

• Tank Wing Left

x=-1.2609 y=-3.9822 z=-1.3858

• Tank Wing Right

x=-1.2609 y=3.9822 z=-1.3858

• Trim Tank

x=23.5087 y=-0.0602 z=1.1217

• Engine Wing Left

x=-5.8941 y=-7.6196 z=-2.4115

• Engine Wing Right

x=-5.8941 y=7.6777 z=-2.4115

@Jwocky
Those are the values I got from some vertex in blender.
Also I merged another version with a corrected gear model.
Pull before push ;)

I did a test fly on it. Very confortable take off. Climb. AP is smooth. Good Hold at FL290.

And... landed it succesfully at KCLT :D
IH-COL
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:06 pm

Hi,
thanks a lot! I take it it is all i meters, but I get it set up correctly.
I work on the "quickfixes" branch, you gear change didn't get there as it looks. But I pulled master to be up to date. I guess, my tanks and you gear will come together with the pull then.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:30 pm

They will

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:24 am

Ohh A310! I not hear of that at ever! I wonder what happen when it done I try it really nice OK. :)

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:57 am

we are building this one (CC-150 Polaris)
into it

R.M.S.

Berkut

Postby Berkut » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:53 pm

OK,one more flight done,with the 324 version.

FDM...Without passengers,and with the center fuel tank empty,the plane flips on it's back. With PAX,it stays on the ground.

AP...It's strange that,when it's set to the V/S Hold,it climbs on 1000 fpm....not more,even if I set it to let's say 1200 fpm,it does nothing...it stays on it's 1000 fpm..

Regards
Last edited by Berkut on Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:42 pm

Sounds like the fuselage rear and nose contact points aren't picked out in the FDM, and the weight masses are seriously off.

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:05 pm

The positions of the wheels are out of the model. So they are at least roughly correct. The rest ... well, seems, everybody is so interested in this plane (even the presidential flight is still month away) that I am forced now, to let the planes for the next two USA Tour legs go and care for the A310 NOW! And of course, it would sometimes help to watch a little closer: Since you have not much speed, your lift is limited and thus, if you set 1200 fpm and you don't have enough lift, the VS still ends at 1000. How about a little acceleration? Welcome to the wonderful world of computer-based flight-envelope protection, you got protected from doing what you thought would be right by an Airbus-Flight-Computer and it didn't give a shit about what the pilot thought. That's authenticity, isn't it?
And now, I drop everything, I am supposed to do and look for all that crying about the tanks and if I find out, you filled the rear optional tank and the trim tank but not center and forward optional tank, I will cry.

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:09 am

Okay, I started her in the latest version in the branch "quickfixes". Yes, you can flip her if you have about 10,000 pounds of fuel in the trim tank and empty the center tank, even without the optional tanks filled while there are no passengers in it. If someone would dare to fill up the real plane that way, it would sit on its sorry rear as well, so I book this under authenticity. However, when the passengers are in, the FG one is too heavy to get his rear on the ground, that is not authentic. She would have so little weight on the nose wheel she would be at least unable to steer on the ground. Our A310-324 is still controllable, but a real bitch in that situation. You treat her bad, she hates you! And she makes no secret out of it.

Yes, and about taxiing. If I set her up heavy (center tanks plus passengers), super heavy (the same plus option tanks) or light (trim empty, center empty, half passengers), she can steer. Actually, I taxied some donuts on the runway 27 since the turn radius is small enough to bring her full circle on a double-wide runway. So she has an unrealistic narrow turn-radius.
However ... having said that, some thousand years or so ago, people found out, that big things moving in circular motions have a thing called momentum. Actually, they have momentum as well if you move them in straight lines, which is the reason, you need some way to bring a plane to stop. Without momentum, we wouldn't need runways to land, a concrete space big enough to get all wheels on it would be sufficient. Of course, the passengers would die from g-forces in that picture because they have momentum too. Long story short, when you stop the turn, you either have to stop turning earlier and she will turn till the friction eats up that momentum or you have to counter-steer to bring her on a straight line again. Yasim planes haven't this problem because Yasim seems not to calculate this turn momentum, but more or less all JSB planes have it unless someone programmed something extra to give them a friendlier but less realistic behaviour as I understand it.
So, I parked my fully loaded A310-324 between two lamp posts near the Jabberwocky Workshop in KXTA. Which means, I had to slalom her, which would be, together with the donuts on 27 enough prove for me to say ... she steers, she steers too good to be true, but who cares?
So, I hope, this concludes this subject? Either you have an old version stashed on your computer or it was some kind of pilot error.

Return to “Aircraft Development”