Bell UH-1

Everything in connection with developing aircraft for FlightGear
bomber

Re: Bell UH-1

Postby bomber » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:01 am

Thanks
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:18 pm

@bomber
It still holds flight, but at the moment I find a little more elements of "fight" too

IH
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

bomber

Postby bomber » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:48 pm

got to admit I expected more feedback.......
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:55 am

More detailed feedback

In general if I flight without autopilot, I have to keep an important amount of pressure on the joystick because otherwise it will start a rotation (desxtrogyre, I believe). At no time releasing the joystick facilitated flight.

This leads to increased difficulty on take off, too.

After a while I could control it, with continuos pressure on the stick, and until I set her on AP there was no sort of a permanent fight to keep flight. Which is what I meant before.

Note thou, I have no control on 3rd axis. This is if I need to counter with pedal or rotary of the joystick, I am finished, as I lack such a controller.
Also, bell_pilots opinion shall be way more value than mine.

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

bell_pilot

Postby bell_pilot » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:49 am

Sorry for late feedback. I just had time to test it. Unfortunatelly i couldnt take off. It rolls right when i pull collective up. I guess tail rotor produces too much moment.
i have problems with my scenerios too. Helicopter "dive" under the runway after rotor reaches full rpm.
I am trying to figure out problems. I will update my feedbacks soon.
Real Helicopter Pilot 1500+ flight hours
AB206,UH-1H,AH-1W
MSc. Aerospace Engineering

bomber

Postby bomber » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:56 am

Hi guys, thanks..

This is a very difficult puzzle to resolve, not made easier by the fact I've never been in a helicopter.

I do think though that we need to understand the process of design that is being taken, where we are in it and what I think needs to happen to move onto the next stage.

The nearest I can get to a similar learning experience is when very young and learning to ride a bike for the first time. You're having to 'think' everything, in fact you're over thinking and you fall off. Everything is happening all at once and you just can't think your way out of it. After a while you relax a bit and a sort of instinctual muscle memory kicks in, balance becomes assured and thought is then only used for directional decisions.

I suspect a helicopter pilot experiences the same process in learning to control one of these vehicles.

My initial flight model had all that muscle memory instinct added as if you were an experienced pilot adjusting the controls automatically to compensate for control linkage and as such maintain balance. It had a high level of augmentation to remove the workload off the player.

I've been asked to remove a lot of this and we can see how difficult a helicopter is if you're having to think reaction based on what you see on the screen.

I think the turbine is now correct and both the main and tail rotors are working within the limitations of JSBsim 'constant speed' prop code.. I say this because my initial helicopter used 'my' code to control the rotors rpms, so there's been a change there worth noting, I'm not saying one is better than the other.

The number one problem I think is the tail rotor anti-torque momentum and I need to understand how inaccurate this is with regards level of input and response.... and I think getting this correct (if it's not) will go a long way.

Bell_pilot wants to fly the helicopter without the 'pilot's instinct' being augmented into the process, and so that's the first stage.
This will make it a harder flight for players like Israel and myself and I think Bell_pilot will be ultimately unsatisfied with the results and I suspect we will then 'dial in' the instinctual muscle memory until he says that's spot on with regards the 'feel' of flying a helicopter.

Those are my thoughts on the way ahead

regards

Simon

bell_pilot

Postby bell_pilot » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:41 pm

bomber wrote:Bell_pilot wants to fly the helicopter without the 'pilot's instinct' being augmented into the process, and so that's the first stage.
This will make it a harder flight for players like Israel and myself and I think Bell_pilot will be ultimately unsatisfied with the results and I suspect we will then 'dial in' the instinctual muscle memory until he says that's spot on with regards the 'feel' of flying a helicopter.

Thanks for your efforts.
I am not agree with your thesis. I tested both civilian and military simulations as official. You cannot get "real helicopter" feelings in simulations never except if you use "G arm" motion, fully adapted cockpit.
No one has commercial simulation setup in here. So i will satisfy if the model will be alike a helicopter.
Real Helicopter Pilot 1500+ flight hours
AB206,UH-1H,AH-1W
MSc. Aerospace Engineering

bomber

Postby bomber » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:45 pm

I'll be happy with like a helicopter... so in reality you don't disagree with what I've said at all.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:20 pm

In summary, I believe what bomber is saying is that he turned off some of the in-the-code pilothelpers. Then as the helicopter becomes a blender, he is going to dial back the autocontrol until it becomes stable enough for bell_pilot to call it a realistic struggle. Then beginners gonna have to learn to fly :D

Is that it? I am looking forward to a moderate level of fight.

R.M.S.

bomber

Postby bomber » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:35 pm

YEP... spot on

Return to “Aircraft Development”