IT-AUTOFLIGHT RC3 (Beta Testers Needed!) (Page 6)

Everything in connection with developing aircraft for FlightGear
Octal450

IT-AUTOFLIGHT RC3 (Beta Testers Needed!) (Page 6)

Postby Octal450 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:16 pm

Hello FG pilots,
ITAF is approaching the end of development, and I will need people to help me test more complex systems.

VNAV:

One of the last new modes is VNAV. This is a VERY COMPLEX mode which has taken me months to work on.

I am in bad need of beta testers. I am working on a VNAV system with the following features:

Climb following waypoint altitude/altitude select restrictions
Descend to meet waypoints at a specified altitude (in route manager) (Descend via RNAV STARs)
Top of Descent calculation and automatic descent if altitude select is lower

and coming later:
Automatic SPD control

To test, make sure your route manager waypoints have altitude. Example: ROKME@5000 will cause the route manager to add the waypoint ROKME at altitude 5000.

The AP will follow this for climb:
CLIMB in FLCH (LVL CHG, SPD BY PITCH) mode until it reaches either the waypoint altitude, or the altitude in the ITAF ALT SELECT, whichever comes first.Then you can adjust the ALT SELECT at or above the waypoint altitude, and it will climb to the waypoint altitude, then after that waypoint, go up to the next closest altitude, etc...

For descend:
When reaching the calculated top of descent point, ITAF will begin to descend to reach the waypoint at the target altitude, but slightly before. If it cannot descend fast enough, FLCH will engage, and it will go down faster, if it needs drag, the ITAF box will show "ADD DRAG" in the VNAV Command Area. When FMS SPD is done, this will avoid the ADD DRAG message as much as possible by changing airspeed. As with climbing, it will stop at the first altitude constraint it hits, either the ITAF ALT SELECT, or the waypoint altitude.

If you would like to help me beta test this system, (I need beta testing before I can install it), PLEASE leave a comment here on this thread. When the time comes around, I will post instructions on where to download the beta copy of the following aircraft, with the system installed.

MD-88 Rename to MD-88
MD-90 Rename to MD-90
737-800 Rename to 737-800
KC-137R Rename to KC-137R
717 Rename to 717
A320Family Rename to A320Family

Any questions, Please Ask.

Thanks,
Josh

EDIT:
If you see your name here, it means you signed up to test:
Flyngo
Darkriser
GabrielYV
J Maverick 16
KL-666

EDIT 2:
THE IT-AUTOFLIGHT CHANGELOG CAN BE VIEWED HERE!

Thank you!
Last edited by Octal450 on Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 7 times in total.

J Maverick 16

Re: BETA TESTERS NEEDED -- AUTOFLIGHT

Postby J Maverick 16 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:02 pm

I would help with the KC-137R but I don't have time for FG at all recently. But I promise I'm going to test in the near future ;) .
Cheers, Mav
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (current project: F-16).
Using Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack.
Follow me also on Instagram & Twitter @j_maverick16, Google+ and YouTube.

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:09 pm

I was trying this on the latest It0uchpods git md-82, but could not find a vnav button. Now i know why:

it0uchpods wrote:When the time comes around, I will post instructions on where to download the beta copy of the following aircraft, with the system installed

I'll wait for that post then :-)

Kind regards, Vincent

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:31 am

:D That would be why! :D

I'm still working on the descent rate calculation formula... I can calculate top of descent, and standard descent rate

But what if the user pushes VNAV after the top of descent? I'm working on calculating a smooth adjustment to get on track again.

Rgds,
J

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:43 pm

Build 155 is pushed.

VNAV is working for climb, but descent is not working yet, so I disabled VNAV. If you want to test climb:

Put in some waypoints with altitude constrictions:

Open DEBUG-->Internal properties

Set /it-autoflight/settings/vnav-test to 1 (or true)

VNAV buttons should be available in ITAF box now.

DESCENDING DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY! DO NOT ATTEMPT IT UNLESS YOU WANT SILLY THINGS TO HAPPEN!
But climbing should be working.

If you push VNAV onthe ground, VNAV will become active at 1500AGL, instead of FLCH.

Please try to put the ALT SEL below the waypoint alt at some point, to make sure, that it holds at the lowest altitude.

[DOWNLOADS]
SEE FIRST POST

Thanks
Josh
Last edited by Octal450 on Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:50 pm

I found why the climbing behavior is erratic.
The nasal script for VNAV doesn't check whether it should be climbing, holding, or descending, it just commands what it "thinks" is right. (which sometimes goes back and forth between VNAV HLD, and VNAV SPD many times)

I'm resolving this in the next update, which should also have working descent.

It works this way:
If we are flying toward a waypoint with an altitude lower than our altitude, and VNAV is active, then when the ITAF MCP alt is set down to at or below the waypoint alt, it will automatically begin descending at the optimal point (TOP OF DESCENT)
If the MCP alt is higher than the waypoint, but lower than the current alt, the same thing will happen, but the aircraft will level off at the MCP alt first, then when the MCP alt is lowered, continue down.

Profile Des (VNAV PTH) will still not be active yet. Please don't expect it to work. If you are really light, or ignore the "ADD DRAG" message, or dont have the MCP alt lowered at the Top of descent point, it may miss the waypoint.

I hope to have it soon.

EDIT: I have completed the CLB part, completely rewritten, and works much much better! The VNAV is now aware if it is climbing, or descending, or supposed to hold altitude. Last thing to do before I push the next build is Top of descent, and make it so it won't descend, until reaching Top of Descent point.

Josh

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:14 am

it0uchpods wrote:EDIT: I have completed the CLB part, completely rewritten, and works much much better! The VNAV is now aware if it is climbing, or descending, or supposed to hold altitude. Last thing to do before I push the next build is Top of descent, and make it so it won't descend, until reaching Top of Descent point.

Josh

Literally, Music to my ears

IH-COL
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:21 am

:D

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:44 pm

OK Guys:
I have fixed the bugs, and implemented proper top of descent calculation, and descend by speed by pitch function
The build will be pushed in all the test aircrafts within the next 10mins.

Note that optimum descent rate is not made yet, so if it seems like you won't make it down in time for a constriction, increase your airspeed, and you will descend faster.

Testers:
Feel free to redownload, and test please! Thanks! You can now perform full climbing and descending restrictions, and it is fully working. Remember, it also honors the ITAF ALT sel box, so MAKE SURE the SEL box is above/below the target alt, or the plane won't climb/descend

I'll be adding the KC-137R later today.

[DOWNLOADS]
SEE FIRST POST

J

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:32 pm

KC-137R now available with Build 165, See first post.

Return to “Aircraft Development”