Wright-Flyer to YASIM

Everything in connection with developing aircraft for FlightGear
LesterBoffo

Re: Wright-Flyer to YASIM

Postby LesterBoffo » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:12 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote:Correction, I didn't.
:)
So, how would you convert UUIC to yasim, again?

First off I would not even bother.

Consider the mess Erik has made of the Wright flyer's jsbsim fdm.

It's broken at a level that most causal FG tinkerers would find nearly impossible to fix. The engine and propellers are borked, ( you cannot run two props off of one power source, this was painfully clear from my trying to get the Model G blimp flyable..)

There's no finished elevator input, the main wing Lift C/L tables have a 3rd column invoking elevator lift that doesn't exist yet, an input that should be well covered by the initial entries for the Hstab moment arm and area, ( also how do you model a canard in JSBsim, can you put a negative integer in the Hstab's tail moment?..) The props have too much inertia, are placed too far aft, and have completely mucked up thrust and power tables..

A-and the engine is geared inversely, gear reduction engine>propeller in JSBsim is not represented by integers less than one... YAsim does that, not JSBsim.

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:40 pm

You need to set a domain from -1 to 1 for example, then JSB does it just fine. But the tables are a problem and the positioning of the propellers is as well. And running two propellers from one source would work via a dummy engine definition to determine how much power is actually transferred to the second propeller.
For an example of a canrad, you can look at older Loreleys for example, they have canards and directed thrusters. So yes, everything is possible. But I agree, the current version of the Wright Flyer seems to be mess.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:32 pm

more updates by Erick Hofman now also in FGMEMBERS. Interested guys may want to pull (or redownload) and see how is this progressing along the JSBsim lines
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:04 pm

I have no time, otherwise I would. But I want a little more flight time on the 767, then back to programming, At least, I got my Serial Killer for this month on the BrendtAndBrendt-website. More than a week late due to all that chaos.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

Return to “Aircraft Development”