Image view at github [SOLVED]

IAHM-COL

Re: Image view at github

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:37 pm

Following OPFOR77 suggestion of doing this as a wiki, in Github

I created an FGMEMBERS repository to be used for information purposes, where we can have general Wiki pages related to how to use FGMEMBERS within Flightgear, With FGDATA with submodules, and offcourse, as a Aircraft center.

With a few research, this is what I came up with

https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/wiki/wiki/Aircrafts-Available

Any suggestions?
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:57 pm

Looking great! I suppose it is not finished yet, because i see no option to go to a next page. And maybe for the planes without thumbnail you can choose another image? Maybe the splash image?

Btw, are you sure you set up the wiki right? The url contains wiki twice.

Kind regards, Vincent

OPFOR77

Postby OPFOR77 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:15 pm

RE: the url, the first wiki is the repo name, the second wiki is Github saying "Go to the wiki for the repo named 'wiki'".
OPRF Fighter Jock and Dev

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:22 pm

KL-666 wrote:And maybe for the planes without thumbnail you can choose another image?

In my opinion the best solution there is to add missing thumbnails.
People could make really nice ones and sent us a PR and help there

Some aircrafts, while missing we can use the FGMEMBERS missing thumbnail mock image seen in some aircrafts

And, no. It is not finished.
It is just an example of the template.

I want to create a python script that creates the table from a list of repository names.
That way is easy to repopulate/recreate the wiki when one new aircraft is added. Otherwise, it would be a mess to maintain.

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:42 pm

Yes of course it must automatically reflect what is in fgmembers. No one is going to manually maintain this accurately.

Concerning alternative images, your proposition is surely going to push the noses of the developers on the facts. Yet it is not very user friendly. I would go for the alternative image with a request beneath it for a thumbnail.

Other infos i may find useful are date of last commit, yasim/jsbsim and maybe developers. But if that is too much work, i am already more than happy as it is.

Kind regards, Vincent

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:22 am

OK

I am happy with the progress.

The wiki Lists are now complete with any aircraft with any release version up to FG2016.3

The Wiki pages are here:

GPL Aircraft List

NON-GPL Aircraft List

I wrote a python2.x script that can be used to regenerate these tables automatically, so maintenance is very easy 8-) :ugeek:, under GPL3+, on the Wiki repository
https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/wiki/blob/master/sources/createwiki.py

I am not great at coding, so feel free to send PR to improve it :D

the usage is rather manual for now

Code: Select all

python createwiki.py aircraftlist

Where aircraft list is a list of the reponames, one name per line, example

14bis

Note. The wiki generator will not sort alphabetically, so if the list is nonAlpabetically, you could run in linux something like

sort UnsortedList > SortedList
python createwiki.py SortedList

The last two lines
mainGPL, or mainNonGPL, must be manually commented in or out, in order to produce a GPL or a nonGPL list respectively :oops:

I am sorry for the "manual" management there.

Feel free to use this code to create you own Wiki list for your GitHub collections with your favorite aircraft, or the aircrafts you create/modify in your own github homes. Consider altering the functions aircraftItem to better suit your own purpose

Best,
IH-COL

R.M.S.

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:28 am

Nice to see all planes now. Just one little issue. I see the last row cutoff somewhat at the right, no matter how wide i make the window.

While you are at it, would it be possible to make the aircraft boxes float under each other when the screen is narrow? I am no html expert, but i believe that is possible when they all have the style float:left;

Kind regards, Vincent

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:51 pm

Hi KL666
Yes, I noticed the table in the GPL list rendered with a sliding bar (all the way to the bottom), instead of fitting in screen. (The reason is some thumbnails that are not correct sizing, and github attempts at resizing at best, but it did nt do enough)

I can fix the html that is rendering that wiki code. That is 100% under github control.

What I can do is hunt the oversized thumbnails in the aircraft repos to fix this.

It'll get corrected, when I hunt these down and fix (on each respective aircraft)

Note that the NONGPL aircrafts, thumbnails existing have the proper size, and then the table fits.

(alternative B, is to go from table of 4 columns to table of 3 columns) -- which is faster to achieve. Should I go this way.

R.M.S.

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:51 pm

I'd give 3 cols a try first. See how it looks. If not too bad, it should be fine.

Kind regards, Vincent

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:07 pm

wilco

R.M.S.

Return to “FGMEMBERS”